Tuesday, March 20, 2012

West Texas

After a rest day yesterday in Truth or Consequences, NM, we came out swinging and put our first century behind us, logging 116 miles and ending up in El Paso, TX. Our strategy to wait for the winds to turn from south back to north paid off. We are lucky to be in an age with "smart" phones and used several apps to nail down this strategy. There is no better feeling to be riding all day on a downwind run!

We are very excited to ride across Texas! I hope the rain in the central and eastern part of the state quits by the time we get there.

3 comments:

  1. wow - nice job! 116 miles - may the wind be always at your back...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with Texas! That's a big state!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me and my uncle went ridin' down,
    South Colorado, West Texas bound.
    We stopped over in Santa Fe,
    That bein' the point just about half way,
    And you know it was the hottest part of the day.

    I took the horses up to the stall,
    Went to the barroom, ordered drinks for all.
    Three days in the saddle, you know my body hurt,
    It bein' summer, I took off my shirt,
    And I tried to wash off some of that dusty dirt.

    West Texas cowboys, they's all around,
    With liquor and money, they're loaded down.
    So soon after payday, know it seemed a shame;
    You know my uncle, he starts a friendly game,
    High-low jack and the winner take the hand.

    My uncle starts winnin'; cowboys got sore.
    One of them called him, and then two more,
    Accused him of cheatin'; Oh no, it couldn't be.
    I know my uncle, he's as honest as me,
    And I'm as honest as a Denver man can be.

    One of them cowboys, he starts to draw,
    And I shot him down, Lord he never saw.
    Shot me another, oh damn he won't grow old.
    In the confusion, my uncle grabbed the gold,
    And we high-tailed it down to Mexico.

    I love those cowboys, I love their gold,
    I loved my uncle, God rest his soul,
    Taught me good, Lord, Taught me all I know
    Taught me so well, I grabbed that gold
    And I left his dead ass there by the side of the road.

    ReplyDelete